As the leaves change color and temperatures drop, the time has come to begin thinking about winter days ahead. More than just thinking about cold, snowy winter months, it’s not too early to begin preparing and winterizing your expensive tools and machines. October is an ideal month to prepare your pressure washing equipment/system for the upcoming winter season.
A common mistake amongst pressure washer owners is waiting too long to winterize the machine. To prevent costly repairs and downtime, equipment and systems must be ready for the upcoming winter.
Do you plan to use your pressure washer system throughout the winter months? If so, ensuring the pressure washer is in a properly insulated environment is crucial. The following tips will help you protect and maintain the life of your McHenry pressure washer as it is used throughout the winter months.
Prepare the Equipment Room or Shop
- Ensure the equipment room heaters work properly and are kept at a temperature that will not harm the machine or fluids inside it.
- To avoid frozen fluids or pipes, ensure proper and adequate insulation is installed around pipes and tubing coming into wash bay or equipment rooms.
- Check seals around doors and openings to ensure freezing is not a factor.
Perform Maintenance on Machine
- Avoid the hassle of having malfunctions in the cold weather, and examine equipment for proper operation now. It is always better to fix issues during fair weather than when freezing temperatures arrive.
- Tighten, clean, or replace spray nozzles. Be sure to size the nozzles correctly for best operation and results.
- Change filters and oils/fluids in preparation for harsh winter months.
- Examine pressure hose, wands and jumper lines going to the equipment for wear, cracks and fittings leaking, and replace as needed.
- Take inventory on chemical and fluid supply. Increase capacity to withstand the possibility that difficult weather could inhibit your ability to get deliveries in a timely manner.
Storing Your Pressure Washer for Winter
If your McHenry pressure washer is not used indoors during winter months, the machine must be winterized prior to storing. Check the following items off your list as you winterize your machine:
- Flush all water from the machine
- Protect the engine by stabilizing the fuel
- Prevent rust and freezing by filling the pressure washer with pump saver fluid (available at McHenry PCS)
- Wipe machine clean of dirt and grime
- Store in a dry, clean space